Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Making waves

We were woken to the reoprts of a Tsunami in Samoa, reports of a major earthquake having started it...at 8.3 you oculd say that was a decent shake!

My mum lives near the coast (about 3 hours south of here, not in Samoa) and she said the local Civil defence used the matter as a training exercise and they had the warning siren's going most of the morning, with radio updates to match. She's 76...running is not an option for her. I suggested they go to the pub up the hill for a long lunch! She was very matter of fact about it, they would be fine afterall the CD was only predicting an extra metre swell (which would coincide with high tide but no...she'll be right!)...the kind of stiff upper lip reaction that seems to go hand in walking stick with those who have weathered wars, depressions and other disasters.

I wonder sometimes if we are doing enough to toughen our kids, so that they will have the smarts to survive without their iPods, their Nintendo's, without takeaway food and without someone asking them what they would like to do in the nicest way cos otherwise we might scar them for life if we (heaven forbid) tell them!

As for me, even after several years as a brownie and Girl Guide I still can't light a fire without masses of kindling wood or even better a fire-starter block!  My kids won't learn much from me...

10 comments:

Steve said...

My wife has bought me a load of Ray Mears survival guides so that when the apocalyspe comes we can be prepared. All I have to do is read them sometime...

The Sagittarian said...

Yo Steve - I' learning how to knit my own yoghurt...

The Joined up Cook said...

One advantage to living in the UK; Tsunamis seem so alien.

As to survival. If we HAD to make that fire I think we'd find a way.

RB said...

So glad you spell "yoghurt" with an h in it, Saggy! Oh and "knitting" with a k too come to that.

I would never survive in the wild - or only if I were permanently drunk.

Reckon I ought to get started now come to think of it in case that wave is on its way over here.

How about I try the last few Tuesday Tipples (yes, got the T)? Better drink them quickly before Owen gets here.

The Sagittarian said...

AWB - I saw a crap TV movie/drama about a major flood in the UK...ok, so it wasn't real but it was something to do with canals flooding and a major storm...anyway, you're right. We made fire once before and we could do it again if we had to.

RB - I'm not sure how else to spell either of those words! My concern level just went up a notch when you mentioned the 'd' word..how would we make wine?? EEEK, new terror strikes NZ! I'd start stock piling wine but that just doesn't work in our house....

VioletSky said...

I do admire the resilience of those old people. There's something to be said for living through tough times.

The Sagittarian said...

Violet - Indeed, I have been doing some family research and have discovered quite a few resilient people within my own group. Something for me to measure up to!

Lynne with an e said...

I missed this posting, Saj, else I would have commented sooner. But when Pierre told me there had been an earthquake/tsunami in Samoa my first concern was for you! NZ's not far from Samoa! said I, displaying my brilliant and extensive knowledge of geography.

Now that I'm on the west coast, I am in prime earthquake, tsunami, coast-falling-off-the-face-of-the- continent land. But as long as we all have our Starbucks in one hand, umbrella in the other, our yoga mats slung over our shoulders in their carrying bags, a bottle of pinot noir and trail mix in our backpacks, and our orthotics properly inserted into our designer footwear, we should be well able to weather the storm.

As for fire, I'll have to find some waterproof matches I guess. Or keep Pierre constantly at my side.

Lynne with an e said...

PS. Damn--I left Pierre at home on the other coast!

Owen said...

Good old Mick ! He's caused a few tsunamis in his time...