Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tripping


I recently have been away again, for work. I know, it's a hard job but someone has to do it. The best part (other than the wonderful people I meet at the places I visit) is the chance to get the camera out! This first photo looks quite bereft and sad, but as it was the start of my journey I wasn't feeling that way at all!


The trip took me up the east coast, where I stopped to wonder at the huge waves bullying their way to shore. This area of the Kaikoura Coast is 'awash' with baby seals at the moment but we didn't see any this day.



Then we had to turn inland, and hoorah for snow eh?



Past the snow, at a wee "blink and you miss it" place, was this beauty. A purple Morris, how cool are those mag wheels??


I found this ol' faller-downer just outside the above Blink n Miss It. Anyone fancy a working bee with the paint brush and a few curtains??



Upon reflection (gag) maybe not, however this Mountain puddle reflection I quite liked. It was very cold taking this photo.



The cold was worth it, even tho' it was -3 the following morning the day blossomed into a wonderful serene day. This photo is taken overlooking the mountain range and river near Hanmer.



The adventurous amongst you may want to consider doing a bungy jump from this bridge, see the nice red sprint boat waiting at the bottom? Note the log truck going over the bridge? Yep, too high for this particular chicken.


But then, imagine my delight at finding this wee fella just in time for a cuppa tea? I thought of Owen over at the Magic Lantern Show and felt for sure he would love to put this part of the world on his "to do" list!



10 comments:

Steve said...

Beautiful photos... espeically the purple Morris. As Prince once sang: those kind of cars don't pass you every day...

The Sagittarian said...

Steve- the funny thing was that the next day I passed that Morris as it was heading north again! I was heading south back home, so it must have gone to Christchurch or thereabouts and then headed off back up country! See, the beauty of such a small country means that often you see the same car twice. :-)

rb said...

Ah it is very beautiful in NZ. And soooo cold. It's always so hard to imagine snow when it's not winter - it seems kind of impossible the idea of it.

I love seeing all the old cars. There were loads in Freo when we were there - all these perfect old British cars.

The Sagittarian said...

RB - its only cold for now, luvey! You visit any ol' time, we will have the sunshine or the fore going! And wine will be chilled or mulled! :-) hahaha, my WV is'quota" best get in quickly!! xx

Marginalia said...

I thought you were in the Yukon - searchin' for a heart of gold: but the purple Morris Minor put me on the right track.

And where are all the sheep? But after Gorilla snot, we're treated to frog spawn?

You clearly "Take the Weather With You."

Lynne with an e said...

I see you've been giving your new camera a fine old workout. Some gorgeous scenery there...though maybe not the snowy one. But those snow capped mountains and turquoise waters--wow! And the wonderful mountain reflection in the puddle--too cool! You found my all-time favourite car in that Morris Minor; not necessarily purple with mags, though. And the fixer-upper I must say is Pierre's specialty so I'll make sure he packs his toolbox when we come visit. You and I can go have a mug of something bracing by those crashing waves while he puts the finishing touches on the homestead, or maybe we could do a spot of gallery hopping (haha) at the Frog place. It's all good.

Stickup Artist said...

Road Trip! I'm in. The snow capped mountains and crystal blue water looks divine as do those churning moody seascapes. Owen will love the nod to the Toad!

Selina Kingston said...

You do get around ! These pictures are lovely and have put NZ on my countries to visit list...

Owen said...

Dear Saj,
I'm so late getting here, being on vacation is dreadfully hard work you know ! Today we packed up our two scowly teens and tossed them on a boat with us heading out for an entire day out on the island of Ouessant, off Brittany's farthest western extremity... got home late tonight after a day of cycling all over the island. And it looks like you have been doing some serious galivanting and galumphing yourself ! Love this whole series, the faller downer may need a little bit more than paint and curtains, but I'm sure we can handle it. And many kind thanks for the frog nod, or is it a toad ??? Looks like you've been tripping in some wild country !

Keep on truckin', as we used to say in the states... though the expression is probably a bit dated by now...
:-)

TheUndertaker said...

Oh, where is the Rocking frog? Yes, beautiful pics! : )