Wednesday, August 22, 2007



Well, there you go. As promised a few days ago, managed to dig this up. I took this photo probably around 1969 or 1970. It shows a Maori canoe, very, very old even back then. From memory it was not very deep and I recall wondering how many it would seat and how it would stay afloat (given that most of the locals I had come into contact with were rather portly). Anyway, I was only about 8 or 9 at the time.

This photo has reminded me about how lucky I was I guess that my parents gave us such a rich and exciting childhood. I had no doubt that my parents loved me and my brothers (even if today my brothers may consider me a product of the "middle child syndrome"- ha!) It got me thinking about how much I love my own kids (and even more so when I watch them sleeping, why is that?) But I get all "welled up" sometimes when I peek in on them before I go to ned myself at night (yes, every night), fast asleep, looking so defenceless and harmless and cosy and TRUSTING. It got me thinking and wondering how it is that some folks abuse these tiny people, how some kids have such a rotten childhood if they are lucky enough to even get out of it alive. There has been so much child abuse reported by the media in this country lately - please, if you do nothing else tonight...hug your kids, tell them they are a loved and cherished part of your life, and for goodness sake SHOW THEM the same. Future generations will thank you for it.

Here endeth my rant. Normal transmission will resume next blog.

4 comments:

Steve said...

That just about says it all. I don't think I can top that so I won't even try!

meggie said...

My broyhrt is a Saggitarian! And I love my kids , probably toooo much. I have always told them how much & told them too often! And my grandkids.
Thankyou for visiting my blog, & leaving a comment. I love Canterbury, love my Souther Island kids, & loved all my years living in Christchurch!!

meggie said...

er...broyhrt.. that should be brother! Sorry!

The Sagittarian said...

Thank you, Meggie. You were my first "unknown" commenter and I thank you for that. I am glad that your speeling teacher and mine have a few things in common (fat fingers!!) I still refer to my little bro as my little "bother".
cheers,
A