Monday, February 15, 2010

Goodbye, DT

Aw, it was such a sweet wee ending...the plaintive wee face, big puppy-dog eyes and the "I don't want to go..: it was almost too much. Lucky I had a hangover and was trying super hard to stay awake, otherwise I suspect I would have had a wine and tear or two!

Yes, we watched the final of the End of Time featuring David Tennant and others. I couldn't quite fathom the 'farewell' tour of past characters, the quick visit to save Martha one last time and  seeing Donna finally get married. Also, the cameo from Rose (is it me, or has that girl not been eating? I thought she looked ill and all mouth!!) The ol' granddad did a stirling job in these 2 episodes and I hope we see him again. I thought the time-lords thing was a bit out of the air but then again Timothy Dalton has always annoyed the bejesus out of me so it wouldn't have mattered what part he was going to play. There was some debate as to whether or not the mysterious woman who kept appearing to Grand-dad and was seen at the end covering her face was DT"s mother??? But we have never heard of any of the Drs having parents so that was dismissed as a silly idea.

When the new Doctor emerged, our resident Whovian shouted at him to "Get that suit off, you can't wear that! You're not worthy..." so I guess it will remain to be seen how this new Doctor scrubs up. I might be biased but he did seem rather manic and weird....

ANYWAY, while it may be cheesy, here's a farewell song for our lad - hope to see him on our screens again someday!

11 comments:

Steve said...

It was definitely emotional. For all his sometimes annoying mania, DT was an excellent doctor and an superb actor. He's set the bar high for him that follows. And as for him... I'm keeping open minded. The new writer, Stephen Moffat, is excellent - I've yet to see him write a duff episode of anything so I think the next series is going to be mindblowing. The king is dead, long live the king.

VioletSky said...

remember when we thought Christopher Ecclestone was the best Doctor...? we were wrong. so very wrong.

sigh.

KeyReed said...

Great 'Seekers' track.

Old Cheeser said...

I'm glad you and yours enjoyed it Amanda! The farewell tour was a bit contrived, yes, but it still worked for me. I think Billie has lost a bit of weight, tis true (and had her teeth done to boot - her voice sounds weeeird now, don't you think?). I agree Bernard Cribbins was rather good and he and DT made a great pairing (who said the Dr's companion has to be some young pretty thing in a short skirt??). Equally I agree that the Time Lords plot wasn't up to that much, whilst Timothy D had presence for me (sorry darling, I can see you're NOT a fan!) he and his clan didn't really DO much...And I've got to say, there were lots of rumours that posh lady Claire Bloom really IS the Doc's mother!

I love your daughter's reaction! Know what you mean about Matt Smith seeming manic, but then David T was too wasn't he? Did you know that Matt S is the youngest ever actor to play the Doc (a mere 26 years old!) Peter Davison proved many of his detractors wrong, despite being only 29 when he took on the role) so let's hope that Matt S cuts the mustard too...

I like your choice of "Farewell DT" song - very melancholic! Rather funny to think that when it came out, William Hartnell was still playing the very first incarnation of the Dr and was yet to depart!

Selina Kingston said...

Didn't I tell you it was fab. Didn't I??
You see for me, Tom Baker was always my favourite Doctor, until Christopher Eccleston came along....and then the GORGEOUS David Tenant (who did I mention I actually LOVE!!)
I don't think I have the energy to fall in love again with young MAtt .....

TheUndertaker said...

Oh, this episode is still sitting recorded and untouched on my MySKy, just waiting. Where would I be without MySky? Lost, so lost... : )

Margaret Pangert said...

Wow, I am really out of it--don't know The End of Time or David Tennant, but I'm sorry the carnival is over. Love, me xx

The Sagittarian said...

Steve - I'm not sure when we get the rest of the series, but I will watch it and see how the newby shakes down. Not sure if The Whovian wants to....we are getting Paul McGann at an Armegeddon Expo here next month tho'.

Violet - Oh I know, I now find I am looking at DT websites to find something else to watch him in!

Tenon- thank you! I was raised on their folksie stuff and have seen them in concert in the late 90s, they were fab.

OC - Yes, our young Who fan is rather sad at the moment, we will have to see how the writers do with this new guy, and DT was a bit
hyper' when we first met him, kind of like mould he grew on me!

Selina - I'd keep away from anyone called Matt, Doctor or not! :-) However, yes I do recall that you, me and DT were ever in the same room at the same time it would be a race and a half...which I would win of course.

Undertaker - ooh, hope I haven't ruined the viewing for you!

Margaret - oh you're back, wonderful! It is a great series, been watching it on and off since I was a young 'un.

The Poet Laura-eate said...

I share your pain Sagittarian and am appalled at the schoolboy they have appointed to fill DT's shoes.

How are we supposed to take him seriously?

In fact I have ceased watching Doctor Who in protest.

The villager: said...

It will be hard for the new guy to match David Tennant....the series is still going so strong after decades of TV.

The Joined up Cook said...

David Tennant!

I'm so sorry but I just don't get the guy. All gurning and eyes opened as wide as he can.

He cannot compete with Tom Baker in my not so humble opinion.

He didn't have to make an effort to be odd. It just came naturally.

Tennant, in my view, is an ordinery sort of guy trying to appear extraordinary and doesn't get there.

My opinion though. And I seem to be in a minority.

And Rose? She always was lips wasn't she....nice lips too ;)