Wednesday, February 24, 2010

When did that happen?

The Stud and I went out on Saturday night. Nothing spectacular you might think, but we haven't really been out for ages in the way that marrieds with kids eventuate. Anyway, it transpired that our ex-neighbours' 19 year old son had gotten engaged at Christmas and he was having his engagement party.
I have a thing about gift registries - I avoid them. I like to get someone what I'd like to get them, thats just me - is it you too? We bought them a lovely tea pot and a used spoon holder thing in the shape of a big spoon. Every young couple should have a tea pot. End of buying gift story.

We got glammed up. Considering we turned down the Scowly Teen's generous offer to dress us for the event since apparently we don't know how to dress for a party, I think we scrubbed up pretty well.

We drove off and headed for the venue. We got lost. That was a major surprise to us as we had been advised the 'do' was at the Fire Station in such-n-such street and you think we would be able to spot something as imposing as a Fire Station! However, as it turned out the invitation had directed us to the wrong street. Finally arriving an hour later than the invite suggested, we made our entrance.

The place was decorated very nice and the place was buzzing with happy young folks and older folks, the lighting was flattering for the latter group. The young kids all looked so fab and trendy, and HAPPY. The older folks also glammed up and HAPPY.

Thats when it struck me  (and don't get me wrong, we had a really nice time) but when did we turn into the 'older folks' that you invite to your bash 'cos you're friends of the parents?

12 comments:

Selina Kingston said...

That could be a sad depressing story but you redeemed it with use of the word eventuate!! I love it. And I was actually here for the Tuesday tipple (it's still Tuesday here) and the post changed in front of my eyes!! Gotta go - I need to buy some peach liquer. Where the hell am I going to get that at this time of night. See what you are turning me into ....

Owen said...

Tried to watch the video, but got a message on it saying that it could not be viewed in the country I'm in due to Sony Corporation controlling the copyrights... As for when does one become the friends of the parents that get invited... I think the explanation can be found in the song here... in the line that says "one day I was young, next day I was old"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh6325lsQKM

And hilarious, the WV is "mistrail", as in, a couple set out to go to a party, but due to bad directions or instructions they did a mistrail and ended up on the wrong street...

VioletSky said...

I think it was only the week before last. Sorry.

Steve said...

At least you get invited! I think I've become so curmudgeonly that I never get invited to anything (except maybe the occasional funeral).

Lynne with an e said...

FABulous choice of music, Saj.

As for gifts, I can't afford to buy any so usually give a piece of my art. ('ere, 'ave a little piece of me 'art!)

I've had so many moments of "OMG, am I old already?" I can't even remember them...oh crap--a sure sign of being old! But at least we're still fun enough and not too embarrassing for the younger crowd to keep around, eh? Especially if we arrive bearing gifts.

I enjoyed your story.
:-)

Rol said...

At least you still get invited!

rb said...

Ah look there is Roy down there singing a lovely song. One of my faves.

I wonder when it does happen. I have thought the same a couple of times recently. I often think that it is not long since I was 21 and then I look at my daughter and she is 21 and well, I feel a bit confused. Did I have a child when I was 7 or something?

But it's actually rather fun being one of the old set. YOu don't have to worry about tapping off with someone or what anyone thinks, you can just enjoy yourself.

LR Photography said...

Great choice for the music!

The villager: said...

Glad you managed to get out, Sag; the freedom of youth is lost to us parents, but I grudgingly admit that it's probably worth it !

The Poet Laura-eate said...

I hope you kept the receipt. It won't last. No one under 40 should be allowed to marry.

;-)

The Sagittarian said...

Selina - and it's almost Tuesday again!

Owen - oh dear, thats bad luck..good song tho anyway I reckon. The hostess got a bit of ribbing about her crap ability at directions.

Violet - sure feels like it.

Steve - Maybe you just need to know people with kids that do this sort of thing...you as a curmudgeon, never!

Louciao - oh thanks, and yes I seem to recall being pleased with presents and I didn't care who they were from...now I get suspicious...

Rol - this time yes...

RB - very true words there. I must be getting old as the mere thought of 'tapping off' with anyone is enough to make me want to go home.

Adrian - thank you very kindly, sir!

Villager- I have to say that initially we thought we might not go, but we're glad we did!

Poet - haha, yes I tell my girls that it's illegal to consider getting married until they are at least 30....

Anonymous said...

Ooohh but you got to go OUT!! All dressed up, that's not old, that's grown-up, I have the social life of a five year old. ;)